My Favorite Quotes

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. ~Robert Louis Stevenson

Robert was a writer who was born in Scotland in November of 1850.  He had no interest in the family business of lighthouse engineering. His journeys led to some of his early literary works. He published his first volume at the age of 28.  After his adventure through life he then died in December of 1894.

This quote speaks to me because with the deeper meaning behind it we can mostly all of us can relate to. 

The meaning of this quote to me is that someone might have an almost perfect life now with the best “hand”. You on the other hand. might feel you have a horrible “hand” that will never play out in your favor.  Your just sitting there thinking all I have is a bunch of mixed and matched characteristics that will never go together.  However over time the “cards” will mend together and you will end out the WINNER of the game.

Therefore this quote helps me keep in mind when things might not be going my way.  This is because even though thing aren’t playing right my “hand” has got my back and will help me through life.

Black Suit
Creative Commons License Photo Credit: Michael Summers via Compfight